I'm a Landlord

Frequently asked questions

I am a property owner and would like to lease my property to Hastings Borough Council’s Letstart Letting scheme. What do I need to do?

In the first instance, all you need to do is contact the Letstart Letting Team who will let you know if your property is suitable for the scheme.

What happens if my property doesn’t meet the Letstart Letting Property Standards?

The Letstart Letting Team will provide further guidance as to what is required so that the property can be included in the scheme.

What type of properties is Letstart Letting looking to take on?

There are a wide range of properties needed for the scheme, to include self-contained studio flats, flats and houses, but at this stage we will not be leasing, bedsits or house share properties.

What geographical areas are considered for Letstart Letting?

Any property that is in an area required to pay Council Tax to Hastings Borough Council.

How much is the leasing fee that I will receive if I lease my property through Letstart Letting?

Please contact the Letstart Letting Team who will be able to tell you how much the lease fee would be for your property.

How and when will I receive leasing payments?

Lease payments are paid weekly directly into your bank account.

Will I only get my leasing payment when the property is occupied?

No, payments will be paid from the start of your lease even if the property is empty.

Can I expect my property to be in the same condition at the end of the lease?

We will agree a property condition survey and a digital photographic inventory at the start of the lease which will be used as a comparison at the end of the lease, less normal fair wear and tear.

What happens if the tenant damages the property?

The Council will put right any damages made by the tenant occupying the property.

Can I choose which tenants live in the property?

No, you will not be able to choose who lives in your property for the duration of the lease. All tenants will undergo a suitability check before being placed into your property. Any restrictions documented in the property’s head lease will be adhered to (e.g. age requirements).

Who is responsible for general maintenance and repairs while the property is leased by the Council?

This will be agreed as part of the lease and varies according to property type.

How long is the lease period?

A minimum of 3 years.

Can the lease be terminated before the end of the contract?

Yes, there will be a break clause included in the lease that either party can use.

Can I sell my property during the lease?

The property cannot be marketed for sale during the lease.

Who will be responsible for the bills for the property?

The tenant is responsible for paying gas, electricity, water and Council Tax. However, any service charges/ground rent will still be your responsibility. Where a property is empty between lets, the liability for paying Council Tax falls with the Council.

Do I need to provide white goods, cooking facilities and furniture?

Properties are only required to have a cooker in good working order. Many tenants would value having furniture that is in good repair, but if you decide to leave furniture in the property it would be at your own discretion and would not be included in the inventory. All furniture must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended).